- 110g (4oz) butter at room temperature
- 110g (4oz) golden caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 110g (4oz) self-raising flour
- 1-2 tbsp whole milk
- 140g (5oz) butter at room temperature
- 280g (10oz) sifted icing sugar
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1tsp good quality vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, using a handheld electric whisk or free standing electric mixer. Mix until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition, then add the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the flour then the milk beating well.
- Line a muffin tray with 12 cupcake cases and fill with about two-thirds of the mixture. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden on top. To test if they are cooked, insert a knife and it should come out clean. Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Whilst your cupcakes are cooling make the buttercream icing. If desired, add a few drops of food colouring.
- Once cooled ice the cupcakes using your buttercream frosting and decorate using hundreds & thousands or other sprinkles from your local supermarket or baking shop.