Nail polish first came about in the 1920's inspired by car paint, so its no wonder that these old-school polishes contain so many dangerous chemicals and toxins. The main Toxic ingredients in Nail Varnish are:
Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)
DBP is a man-made chemical listed as a 'teratogen'. A teratogen is anything that can cause birth defects, pregnancy complications or loss of pregnancy. It is used to make PVC, adhesive glues and printing inks.
Toluene is a flammable solvent which is petroleum-based produced in the process of making petrol. Toluene has been linked to cancer, and can effect the nervous system producing symptoms such as tiredness, weakness and memory loss. It can also cause skin irritation. Toluene is commonly used to manufacture polymer plastics.
Formaldehyde is a colour-less, flammable and extremely strong smelling chemical. Simply inhaling the fumes can result in watery eyes, headaches, burning in the throat, and breathing problems. It may cause allergic reactions and is unsafe for use by asthmatic people, when tested on animals it causes cancer in the nose and throat. It is commonly used in industrial strength glues, adhesives and disinfectants.
This is enough to put you off using Nail Polish altogether isn't it?! Nail Polish makers have been under pressure for a number of years to reduce or eliminate toxic ingredients and many nail polish brands have become free of DBP, Toluene, Formaldehyde.
Do you always check that Nail Polish is 3 free?